B3 Project Managers Conflict Management Skills
Research shows that everyday department managers spend about 20%-30% time on dealing with conflicts. These conflicts are mainly related to operational or technical work. A project manager deals frequently with cross-functional work coordination. Facing team members and stakeholders with different professional backgrounds, conflict complexity is proportionally high. Therefore, even more time must be spent on resolving conflicts.
Most managers, when facing interpersonal and team conflicts, use avoiding or suppressing techniques. However, studies show avoidance and suppression may cause even greater conflicts. Alternately, suitable openness and encouragement of conflict, can increase everyone's perception and understanding of the issue at hand. It can even muster more innovative improvement methods, and increase team and organization effectiveness.
Are conflict resolving styles and abilities inborn? Some people are good at facing conflicts, communication, coordination and negotiation. Some are good at creating conflicts and and bad at perceiving others' feelings, thoughts and behaviors. Whether inborn or not, there is an undeniable fact: "if you are unable to deal effectively with conflicts, you will definitely not have good achievements. Even if your achievements are acceptable, you will probably not be happy".
Conflict resolving ability is the same as other professional people-related abilities; it can be improved by learning the associated knowledge, methods, and techniques. In addition, actual work experience and practice will effectively help this ability mature. This course specially teaches standard conflict management knowledge, process, tools and techniques; using case studies and exercises. The aim is to help project managers build effective conflict management abilities. Thereafter, improve their project execution performance.
|Day 1||1||Course Introduction||
|2||What is Conflict, Conflict Types, Factors, and Influences?||
|3||Traditional vs. Modern Conflict Viewpoints and Attitudes||
|4||Project Conflict Management Meaning and Process||
|5||How to Identify Potential Conflicts?||
|6||How to Analyze Conflict Situations and Impacts?||
|7||How to Plan Conflict Resolving Strategies and Methods?||
|8||How to Effectively Prevent and Resolve Conflicts?||
(In order to improve course quality, we reserve the right to modify course contents in part or in whole)
- Understand organization different conflict types, source and impact.
- Understand appropriate conflict meaning and required attitude.
- Understand organization and project conflict management process, tools and techniques.
- Familiarize with actual reasons for conflict, and learn to use problems breakdown tools to identify conflict elements.
- Learn how to use system process model to define and analyze conflict's potential risks and impacts.
- Familiarize with various conflict resolving strategies and techniques; learn how to accurately choose and plan conflict resolving actions.
- Learn various conflict situational resolving methods and techniques.
- Learn how to use TKI Conflict Model Assessment Tool to diagnose self and team conflict resolving models.
|Target||Enterprise managers, project managers, RD, planning personnel, and those interested in conflict management.|
|Emphasis||Project conflict management theoretical framework, process, procedures, forms, techniques, methodologies, actual practice and application.|
|Method||Case studies, templates, teams exercises|
|Time||09:00-12:00.13:00-17:00, 7 hours, 1 day|
|Back to Course List>>|